This is the 14th novel in the Miss Price series.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Episode 17 - The breakdown


Wednesday started early for Gary, who made breakfast for all comers, and only a little later for Cleo, who wanted to talk to him about the day’s plans after it had been too late to discuss things in detail the previous evening.
They had been entertained, if that’s the right word, by Chris’s description of the most recent corpse he had been dealing with. No one had missed it, so no one had claimed it. It was underfed and grubby, and Chris could not explain why he kept at his job when he found it so off-putting and tragic.
The nameless corpse had been delivered from the hospital. They always did that with an accompanying note stating that they suspected foul play. That got rid of the unwanted dead without it appearing like a rejection.
The tramps in the nearby park had been rounded up and came reluctantly one after another to identify the dead person, who – wait for it - had turned out to be a woman dressed as a man when Chris stripped it of the numerous layers of clothing. It was safer sleeping rough that way, he knew and it wasn’t the first time he had come across the predicament of being a woman on the road. No one owned up to knowing the person other than by sight.
***
There wasn’t much time to discuss the coming day, but Cleo did remind Gary that Jet Black was aggressive and probably capable of any felony they threw at him. From what she had heard about him, she did not believe that he could be innocent.
At HQ, Gary found Nigel staring at an onscreen photo of the dead tramp that had been forwarded to him by Ned.
“I’ve seen her before,” he said.
“It’s Laura Finch,” said Gary. 
“It can’t be. She’s been dead for years.”
“I know that. It’s one of the illegitimate half-siblings I believe Laura had in abundance,” said Gary.
“I’ll look it up,” said Nigel. “Those guys in the lab will be happy to put a name on the toe-tag. There are already a couple of anonymous characters down there.”
“You could look up the Finch case. I think there are some names in there of women we did not get in touch with. If I remember rightly, they all rhymed with Laura who was the first born and probably the only legitimate Finch offspring. And you could talk to Cleo about it. She will be intrigued and  want to follow it up, so you’d be relieved of that chore.”
“That’s a good idea, Chief.”
“It’s Gary, and never mind that Finch look-alike now. Find out a bit more about ‘our’ Daphne, Nigel. She is probably the Daphne in the appointment book kept by Gibbons and she might know more than she has told us so it would be good if we were a step or two ahead. And that goes for Jet Black. I want to see both of them here before the day is out.”
“It’s Greg’ case,” said Nigel. “I hope he doesn’t mind you intervening.
“Just follow those guys up and keep quiet about it for a bit.”
“OK, Boss!”
“It’s still Gary. And our curiosity also applies to the two houseboys kept by Fish. They are shrouded in mystery.”
“Ivan and Olaf?”
“That#s them. I’ll see them this morning.”
“You won’t. They’ve done a bunk.”
“How do you know that?”
“They’re on the list of suspects you want to talk to, Gary. I tried to get them on your schedule.”
“I think I’m losing my marbles,” said Gary. “Did you say bunk?”
“Do I have to agree or disagree,” said Nigel, “…about the marbles, I mean.”
***
The phone rang. It was Greg with perfect timing for a change.
“Do you want to see Olaf and Ivan now?” he asked.
“They’ve gone,” said Gary.
“Who told you that?”
“Nigel.”
“He wasn’t listening to me, Gary.”
“where  are they then?”
“They’re in arrest cells.”
“Nigel said they’d done a bunk.”
“As I said, he wasn’t listening properly. I said they had tried to do a bunk but were arrested by the patrol squad on duty watching the house.”
“Brilliant,” said Gary, looking daggers at Nigel, who had heard the dialogue over the speaker.
“It’s my case, Gary. I have to make sure my suspects are taken care of. There’s been a guard on the house ever since Fish was killed.”
“You’re right, Greg. I have absolute confidence in you. Can I join you for the questionings?”
“You’re the boss, Gary. I’ll want you to do the questioning. No one gets better results.”
“Thanks for that, but I’m thinking of going back on the beat. I’m not cut out for the high-flying job of sitting around being a superintendent. I need action.”
“Be here just before 11 a.m. – and please ask questions!”
***
“You aren’t serious, are you, Gary? I’ve just got comfortable up here,” Nigel said. It had taken him a long time to be prised from the old office and set up house on the third floor in an office all of his own.
“I don’t suppose I am. I can hardly fire myself, can I?”
“And you’ll be fine when you get used to the climate up here,” said Nigel.
“I’ve been up here six months already. The climate is not going get any more congenial.”
“It will. Henry’s retiring soon,” said Nigel. “You’d be less bored if you took over his job, and the climate would definitely improve.”
“Who says I’m bored?”
 “I do. All those doodles on your note-pad give you away.”
“They’re my thought-processes, Nigel.”
“Really? All those twirls, noughts and crosses, joined-up dots and one-stroke fish and birds?”
“Talking of food, let’s get a bagel in the canteen,” said Gary. “I was so busy feeding the five thousand this morning that I forgot to feed myself.”
***
Greg had decided to interview Olaf and Ivan together. He thought they had probably decided what they would say, expecting to be questioned separately, but the trick of making them explain themselves as a team would be disconcerting for both. Neither of them had criminal records, but both were employed in jobs they had never done before, working for a boss whose activities they must surely have known about. Ivan called himself a barman, but his main task was to make sure the wrong people did not get into the Fish establishment.
The villa was large and pompous. It was set in its own grounds with a double door sporting the obligatory gargoyle knocker several marble steps above ground level. It had not yet been possible to trace the origins of the large sum that had financed the villa. Greg had tried. Who owned the villa now Ronnie Fish was dead? Fish’s lawyer would not be cooperative. It would take a court of law to force him to reveal what he knew,  Greg thought..
Gary and Nigel anticipated a lively questioning session in Greg’s office.
“Before the two lackeys arrive, can you get the reports on Maureen Bishop’s injuries from her visit to Fish’s house, please, Nigel?” said Gary.
“No problem,” said Nigel.
“Ivan – what’s his surname, Nigel? – probably killed her, but we have no concrete evidence. He’ll have to admit it.”
“Some hope,” said Nigel. “Mr Davis without an ‘e’ is not likely to admit to anything.”
“What’s Olaf’s last name?”
“I wrote it down somewhere and it’ll be in the reports, but those two always went by their first names.”
“Find out, please.”
Nigel said he could not pronounce the surname and that was probably why he’d forgotten it. He looked in his mobile phone. Sure enough, he had made a note of it.
“Kuznetsov,” he pronounced slowly. “No wonder he sticks to Olaf.“
“I will, too,” said Gary.
***
Greg had prepared the setting. Olaf and Ivan were brought in accompanied by security officers.
“We’ll use your first names, gentlemen,” said Gary.
“We’ll use yours then,” said Olaf.
“Rudeness won’t help you,” said Greg. “You’re in a damn deep hole.”
“What are you accusing me of, Greg?” said Olaf.
“Let’s start with the cocktails you used to drug women prior to abuse by paying guests at the house.”
“Prove it!”
“There’s also the small matter of the cocktail of drugs Maureen Bishop was given at the hospital combined with the nerve drug that was stabbed into her shoulder,” said Gary.
“Prove it, Gary!” Ivan said.
“Don’t you want to admit it and save us further bother, Ivan?” said Greg.
“You haven’t got any proof of anything because it’s all a fiction,” said Olaf.
“Actually, we even have clips of Ivan’s trailing activity on the street last Sunday,” said Nigel.
“Come off it, Nig. Those cameras were broken.
“Not all of them, Darling,” Nigel replied.
“For the record, I bumped into Ronnie quite by accident. I did not know he was being released,” said Ivan.
“Tell that to the marines,” said Gary. “There was a bug in a pocket of his jacket. We didn’t put it there, so you must have. Amazing that he did not find it.”
“Why would I do that?” said Ivan, and Olaf looked perturbed.
“You know why. There must have been real trouble for you to have treated your employer to that nerve drug and a slug in the back.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” said Ivan.
“And you hired Daphne Lewis to help you, didn’t you?” said Nigel.
“I don’t know any Daphne Lewis, Sweetheart,” Ivan said mockingly.
“We have movie clips of her, too,” said Greg. “You held her hostage at the house for a week”
“I didn’t do that, “ said Olaf and Igor simultaneously.
“You two jerks made it possible,” said Gary.
“Watch your language!” said Greg.
Nigel looked surprised. He had been bluffin. What clips was Gary referring to?
“So where were you planning to run to?” said Gary.
“Nowhere.”
“But you were caught leaving the Fish house carrying backpacks,” Gary shouted, and Nigel looked astonished.
“No need to shout,” said Ivan. “I’m not deaf.”
“Show these guys the movie clips,” Gary shouted to Nigel before taking him aside.
“Darling and Sweettheart seem to have a secret,” said Ivan.
“Shut up!” aid Greg.
“But we haven’t got any clips,” Nigel whispered to Gary..
“Why not?” Gary replied through his teeth..
Greg realized that something was going wrong. He told the guards to take the two suspects back to their arrest cells. They did not need to witness the growing confusion in his office.
“Why did you do that?” Gary reproached. “We were nearly there.”
“We weren’t nearly there, Gary,” said Nigel. “There are no clips of those men committing murder.”
“What?”
“The cameras that could have filmed them – if there was anything to film - were not working,” said Nigel.
“Did you know that, Greg?” said Gary. “Those guys did, didn’t they?”
“Who’s responsible?”
“I hate to say this,” said Greg. “But you are, aren’t you?”
There was a long silence. Nigel looked aghast.
Gary turned on Greg.
“I think you’re wrong, Greg. You are head of the homicide squad now. Those cameras are your responsibility,” he spat.
“So why didn’t I know about the breakdown until this morning?” said Greg.
“Ask yourself that. I’m going to my office,” said Gary.
Left alone with Nigel, Greg wondered about what he had just witnessed.
“Is he torn between two women?” said Greg. “I heard rumours…”
“They are not true, Greg,” said Nigel. “I couldn’t get a word in just now Saying that you are in charge of the cameras is also incorrect. Gisela is responsible for those cameras. They were originally installed to control the traffic whizzing down Thumpton Hill and then everyone else wanted a look in. Crowd surveillance came to Middlethumpton as an afterthought.”
“So why did he stalk off in a huff?”
“This case is getting on his nerves.”
“It’s getting on all our nerves, but I’m coping without a panic attack,” said Greg. “I know those guys are guilty of crimes we can get them for, but I can’t start water-boarding them for confessions of felonies they may not be guilty of.”
“I’ll go and see about Gary. He’s not himself.”
“You can say that again.”
“A couple of years ago, Gary had a stay at a clinic. He was treated for burnout and he told me then that the doctor had told him to get his life order and find a job he liked. Maybe that burnout stuff has come back to haunt him.”
“Get Cleo here. We’ll have to do something, Nigel. We can’t have cops having nervous breakdowns in front of suspects and Cleo knows more about Gary than anyone else does.”
“Leave it to me, Greg.”
“You’re a pal.”
“I’ll let you know what’s going to happen next as soon as I know myself,” said Nigel. “It’s a pity Mia wasn’t here. I don’t think Gary would have behaved that way if she had been.”
“Wouldn’t he?”
“He’s not having an affair with her, but he likes her a lot," said Nigel. "He would be afraid of losing her respect.”
“That makes me wonder more about his feelings for her.”
“Cleo knows Mia is just a good colleague, Greg.”
“That’s often how an affair starts,” said Greg.
“I think he’s still in shock after his villa burnt down,” said Nigel.
“I would be, too, if I had a houseful of kids to feed and was in a job I hated.”
I’ll talk to him now,” said Nigel. “I’m not sure why, but he listens to me.”
***
Nigel was deep in thought as he climbed the stairs to the third floor of HQ. He had no idea how he would find Gary, or even if was still there to find.
Nigel thought Gary had too delicate a mental constitution for his job, but had hoped he would take on the attitude of his predecessor. Roger Stone had taken care of things, but was never emotionally involved with the cases. Roger had delegated as much as possible and kept up his own routine of two mornings and one afternoon a week on the golf course. It had been entirely out of character for him to have an affair with a go-getting ambitious young policewoman who had been one of Gary’s girlfriends before Cleo came along, or at least, long before Gary and Cleo were known to be an item.
Roger had endured a marriage in which his wife had called the tune until that happened, and the affair sealed the fate of that policewoman, since Roger’s wife was possessive of a marriage in which she took the liberties while he towed the line of respectability.
Cleo had married someone she was in tune with but did not love and vainly attempted to shake of the emotions Gary woke in her. The only photo on Gary’s desk was of Cleo, who had once forced an estrangement. It was that estrangement that had been the underlying cause of Gary’s burnout.
No wonder Nigel was deep in thought. He did not think Mia, though nice, could hold a candle to Cleo, and it was definitely not the moment for Gary to fall into some sort of neurosis as a kind of consolation for his frustration in the job of superintendent that he had never really wanted.
Nigel was relieved to see Gary tapping away at his laptop, but rather less relieved when he saw that his boss was taking an IQ test on-line.
“I just wanted to see if I really have lost my marbles,” Gary explained, hoping Nigel would think he was joking.
“I’ll start to think you have if you play around with that fake IQ test any longer. You’re bound to fail and then they’ll try and make you buy something brain-healing.”
“It sounds as if you’ve tried it,” said Gary.
“I haven’t. Well, just once with disastrous results. My IQ is apparently comparable with that of a chimp.”
“You’re too modest, Nigel. You can’t have been trying very hard. I’m really trying to work out why I reacted like I did this morning,” said Gary.
“And I’m trying to work out why you had to react at all when you put Greg in charge of the case and it’s up to him to make progress before you get involved.”
“That’s precisely what I’m telling myself.”
“Speaking as an ongoing detective rather than your personal assistant, I would say that we have not reached out to all the persons who might be involved in this mess.”
“Don’t get highfalutin, Nigel. Do you think we have neglected someone?”
“Don’t YOU get uppity about it, Gary. I’m trying to help.”
“It won’t help if we fall out,” said Gary.
“Why are you losing your temper with me then?”
“I’m not losing my temper!” Gary shouted.
Nigel whistled.
“I’ll make us some coffee. I need time to think about that.”
“Wait a minute, Nigel. Are you suggesting that someone outside the syndicate could be responsible for some of the mess?”
“It’s possible, isn’t it?” said Nigel. “We need to look at someone we decided was a non-starter.”
“Have you decided who?”
“Yes,” said Nigel. “A couple of characters come to mind.”
“Are you going to tell me who they are?”
“Let me drive you home first,” said Nigel. “I’d like Cleo to hear my theories.”
“Now you have got me interested,” said Gary. “Your car or mine?”
“Yours, but I’ll drive. I see you’ve been at the scotch bottle.”
“Only a dram, Nigel.”
“A dram too many!”


No comments:

Post a Comment